The original recipe for this chocolate cake did not have flour or almond meal in the cake which would result in a very light cake. I have tried adding a little flour or almond meal and like it this way as well. So you could try both and see which you prefer.
190 g butter
300 g dark chocolate
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 eggs, separated
1/4 cup self raising flour or almond meal1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp cocoa
5 tbsp hot water
200g semisweet chocolate
1 1/2 cup cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1/8 tsp salt
- Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
- Add vanilla extract and the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour or almond meal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites adding sugar and cream of tartar gradually to stiff peak.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Divide the mixture into 2 and pour into 2 buttered trays.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until cooked through. Cool before frosting.
- For frosting:
- Mix cocoa with hot water.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
- Mix cocoa into chocolate.
- Whipped cream with icing sugar until soft peaks.
- Fold the cream into chocolate. Use to layer the cake and around cake.