My husband's birthday is this week. So I've made him this birthday cake this week end. He loves chocolate(but of course that's not his first love) and so I am making a Chocolate Almond Cake for him. It turned out almost like a chocolate mud cake. But it's lighter and moist but still rich.
250 grams of chocolate
125 grams unsalted butter
250 grams semi sweet chocolate
1/2 cup orange juice
6 eggs, separated
200 grams almond meal
1 cup castor sugar
- Line 20 cm round tine and preheat oven to 170C.
- Put the butter and orange juice in a saucepan and heat over low heat until the butter has melted.
- Take of the heat and add chocolate. Stir until all the chocolate has melted.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl and gradually add 1/2 cup of the castor sugar until soft peak. Leave this for later.
- Beat the egg yolks with the other 1/2 cup of castor sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the cooled chocolate & butter mixture.
- Fold in the almond meal. Fold in the beaten egg white.
- Pour in tin and bake for about 45 - 50 minutes.
I decorated it with dark chocolate ganache and white chocolate ganache. The ganache is chocolate melted in hot cream. I do not have the exact measurement of cream to chocolate.